Petroleum Transport (PITSF)
The Petroleum Industry Transport Safety Forum’s purpose is to promote safe, efficient and reliable movement of fuel by road throughout New Zealand. A voluntary organisation, the PITSF’s membership includes oil industry representatives from BP New Zealand and Z Energy Ltd as well as key transport operators Allied Petroleum, Hooker Pacific, Linfox Logistics Ltd and Tranzliquid Logistics Ltd with specialist advisory support from the appropriate tankwagon fabricators and service providers.
The Road Transport Forum provides secretarial services and technical advice to the PITSF.
The PITSF’s activities include developing industry codes of practice, providing submissions on legislation affecting fuel transport safety, best practice around fuel terminals, transport logistics and tanker vehicle design and manufacturing.
The PITSF also manages a register of competent people who can issue NZ Oil Industry Safe Load Passes. These involve an annual inspection of tanker trucks and trailers for compliance with established safety criteria required for access to loading facilities at all New Zealand oil terminals.
- Melissa Crawford (Z Energy/Caltex)
- Tau Matiza (Z Energy/mini tankers)
- Jessica Milich (BP)
- Greg Pert (Gull – Tranzliquid Logistics Ltd)
- Mike Crandon (McFall Fuel)
- Kevin Sim (Mobil/Caltex – Allied Petroleum)
- Andy Stanley (Z/Caltex – Pacific Fuel Haul Ltd)
- Hayden Garing (Z/Caltex/Pacific Fuel Haul Ltd)
- Stephen Owles (Z/Caltex/Pacific Fuel Haul Ltd)
- Mark Allen (MFI Engineering)
- Neil Boys (Tanker Engineering)
- Gareth Pert (Tranzliquid Logistics Ltd)
- Chris Heaton (Linfox Logistics)
- Ron Requena (Linfox Logistics)
The PITSF will invite stakeholders and other interested parties with specialist knowledge to join meetings as necessary.
North and South Island Emergency Response Trailers
Any use is to be approved via either BP or McFall Fuel. Any used items will be replenished and charged to the user. Industry members should not be reliant on these third party assets by writing them into ER plans.
NZ Oil Industry Safe Loading Pass Process
The NZ Oil Industry Safe Loading Pass (SLP) process and associated documents have been reviewed and updated.The key objectives of the review were:
- Ensure compliance and alignment with current NZ legislation e.g. HSNO Act – Code of Practice for Flammable Liquids Tank Wagons
- Ensure compliance and alignment with current NZ Oil Industry “Terminal” specific safety requirements
- Review and incorporate any relevant safety incident findings
- Develop “Safe Loading Pass Guide Notes” and other supporting documentation to provide standardised task details to the service providers on how each SLP checklist items shall be carried out
- Standardise SLP documentation and information
Effective from 1 August 2014, the following forms and documents shall be used for all future Annual Safe Loading Pass inspections, as they become due.
Safe Loading Pass Labels
The new SLP labels are being printed, with a sequential “serial number” incorporated into the design. A database of SLP labels will now be held to identify and track which service provider has been issued these SLP labels. The SLP database and label issuing is managed by MFI Engineering.
For the order form for new labels here.